ARTIST GUIDELINES from Wild In Art
About the Sculpture
Each sculpture is finished with a white primer/undercoat. Before you begin, we recommend that you:
- Unwrap the sculpture and check it over – we suggest a light sand prior to painting.
- Some small blemishes may be visible in the primer and some small chips may have occurred in transportation. Larger chips may need to be filled with a plastic filler e.g. Isopon easy sand.
- If you require a particularly high gloss finish to your piece then even more consideration should be given to sanding the primer to a smooth finish using several grades of sandpaper. NB Please wear a dust mask whilst sanding.
Decorating the Sculpture
To paint a sculpture, we recommend you use:
- a good quality artists’ acrylic water-based paint
- emulsion paint for larger areas
- acrylic metallic paint
- spray paints
- Lazertran – a highly effective inkjet transfer paper that separates in water and can be glued onto the sculpture. Lazertran requires varnish to hold it secure when dry. Please note: this material can be difficult to work with on a curved surface.
- Permanent marker pens – once the varnish is dry, permanent pens are a good way to add detail too small to create with a brush. Please note: DO NOT APPLY permanent marker or other pen such as biro under the varnish as the colour runs and bleeds when varnish is applied.
- Collage paper/newspaper/tissue paper – you can use PVA glue to create collages with paper. However, collage does not last outdoors.
Finishing your Sculpture
To finish your sculpture, you must varnish your work to protect it from the elements and weather damage. Please use a good quality exterior non-yellowing varnish – which is UV resistant so that colours do not fade – in matt, eggshell or gloss. Yacht varnish is fine.
Each sculpture requires a minimum of two coats of this varnish, preferably three coats, and will take 12 hours drying time in between coats. Varnish should be applied in thin coats to avoid runs, with a soft brush or a varnish roller. Alternatively, an excellent finish can be obtained by building up layers applied on a soft, damp lint-free cloth.
Thank you …………
We look forward to seeing your design come to life.